The Center for Appellate Litigation (CAL), a 45-attorney non-profit public defender agency in New York City, responsible for representing indigent criminal defendants in all aspects of post-conviction proceedings, regularly hires paralegals/client advocates. The paralegal/client advocate will be charged with providing litigation support for attorneys on a variety of projects. These responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Tracking cases and gathering records from the courts;
- Collecting records from other agencies;
- Visiting clients in prisons across New York State;
- Interviewing and liaising with clients in court and the office; and
- Drafting affidavits in support of post-conviction matters.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Computer proficiency;
- Strong writing ability;
- The ability to sympathize with and the desire to work on behalf of people who have been convicted of serious offenses.
Fluency in Spanish is highly preferred.
Because we believe that a diverse work force is essential to helping our clients through differing perspectives, CAL welcomes applications from people of color; people with disabilities; and people of LGBTQ+ identities. CAL is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package will be provided.
Please note that our hiring for 2019 positions is complete. If you are interested in this position, please check back periodically to see if we are currently hiring.