Executive Assistant Position
The Center for Appellate Litigation (CAL)--a 50-attorney non-profit public defender agency in New York City responsible for representing indigent criminal defendants in all aspects of post-conviction proceedings--is seeking to hire an Executive Assistant to provide direct administrative support for our Attorney-in-Charge and Paralegal Supervisor. The ideal candidate is highly self-motivated and adept at independently managing a diverse workload. The Executive Assistant’s responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Formatting and preparing legal briefs for filing;
- Coordinating executive communications and scheduling matters;
- Opening and tracking cases;
- Communicating with court clerks, court reporters, and attorneys;
- Providing back-up staff support in our reception area;
- Coordinating office events and event logistics;
Interpreting and translating between English and Spanish.
- Associate’s degree OR a minimum of 3+ years’ experience as an Executive Assistant reporting directly to senior management;
- Excellent organizational, project-management, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills;
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills with an ability to quickly become proficient with firm-specific programs and software, including Corel WordPerfect;
- General computer and technological proficiency;
- Fast and accurate typing ability;
- Strong writing ability;
- Empathy for people who have been convicted of serious offenses and a commitment to our organizational mission;
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred
At CAL, we embrace and value our staff’s diversity, and we welcome applications from people of color; people with disabilities; and people of LGBTQ+ identities. CAL is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, citizenship status, color, credit history, creed, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, marital status, partnership status, pregnancy, race, religion, salary history, sexual and reproductive health decisions, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran or active military service member, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, and sex offenses in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Starting salary for July 2020 will be commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package will be provided.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through the form linked below. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Alternatively, applicants without a gmail account may email their materials (subject line: “2020 Executive Assistant Position”) to:
Brittany N. Francis
Assistant Managing Attorney
120 Wall Street, 28th FL
New York, NY 10005
Because of the expected high number of applications, we ask that applicants not contact the office to inquire about the status of their application. Any necessary updates to an application should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line “2020 Executive Assistant Position Update.”